1st National Congress on Integrity 2005
(Past Event – This webpage is for information/archival Purposes Only)
Date July 16, 2005
Venue Sunway Convention Centre, Petaling Jaya
Time 9am – 6 pm
“The accomplice to the crime of corruption is frequently our own indifference.”
– Bess Myerson, civil rights activist.
The National Congress on Integrity 2005 is an intense one-day look on the effects of corruption on national integrity. It provides a public platform for concerned hearts and minds to engage the issue of corruption in a timely, extensive and inclusive dialogue.
Christian leaders join public, private and third sector leaders to address key issues and explore avenues to effect change. Good case studies on integrity will also be highlighted and public discussions conducted to collate feedback for the Government on related issues.
- Keynote Address : Corruption and its Impact on Nationhood by Dato (Dr) Anwar Fazal, Director, Citizens International
- Moral and Theological Reflections by Rt Rev Dr Paul Tan Chee Ing, Bishop of Malacca-Johore, Catholic Church
- Corruption – The Legal Perspective by Mr Chooi Mun Sou, Managing Partner, Chooi & Co.
- A Nation in Crisis? Impact and Effect of Corruption on the Malaysian Society by Dr Denison Jayasooria, Executive Director, Yayasan Strategic Sosial
- Private Sector Experience and Challenges by Mr David Wong, Area Vice President, South East Asia and Managing Director, Malaysia, Tupperware Corporation
- Public Sector Experience and Challenges by YBhg Tan Sri Clifford F Herbert, former Secretary General of the Ministry of Finance, Malaysia Other Sessions
- Congress panelists : Dr Chandra Muzaffar, Dr Irene Fernandez and YBhg Dato’ Param Cumaraswamy.
- Round Table Discussion to develop a citizen’s view on Integrity to be presented to the Government.
- Tabling of an Anti-Corruption Pledge for adoption.
- Parallel workshop sessions :
- Citizens Watch
- Support System within the Local Church for Mutual Accountability
- The Role of the individual in Promoting Greater Transparency and Integrity
- The Role of Corporate Leaders in Enhancing Corporate Governance, Good Practices in Corporations and Businesses
- The Role of the Individual Employee in Enhancing Good Behaviour and Integrity in the Workplace
- Dealing with Corruption through Proper Channels – Practical Do’s and Don’ts
- Transparency for Improved Effectiveness and Governance
- Ensuring Accountability and Efficient Public Spending
Organised by: Graduates Christian Fellowship (GCF) & OHMSI
Endorsed by: National Evangelical Christian Fellowship (NECF) Malaysia